Choosing a Florida divorce lawyer is always an important decision. No two lawyers are alike, and you want to make sure you’re getting the very best legal counsel available to you. Simply put, you can’t afford to take any chances, as the results of your divorce case will literally affect you for years to come.
The best way to make sure you choose the lawyer that’s right for you is to know which questions to ask during your initial consultation. As a prospective divorce client, here are some of the most important questions to make certain you ask a lawyer you’re considering hiring.
• How much experience do you have handling divorce cases in Florida? There’s no substitute for relevant experience when it comes to the law. You want to make sure that your lawyer has been handling divorce cases for years, and not just any divorce cases…divorce cases here in Florida. Each state has its own divorce laws, so it’s important to make certain your lawyer has been practicing family law in Florida for many years. It’s also important to verify that your Florida divorce lawyer has handled divorce cases in your specific county as each county has its own unique components regarding how cases are filed and handled.
• Have you handled divorce cases like mine? Not all divorce cases are the same. Some divorce cases have a unique component to them that requires a lawyer with direct experience in that area. For example, if your divorce case involves child abuse on the part of your spouse, you need an attorney who has handled cases involving child abuse. If your case involves infidelity, you want a divorce lawyer with experience handling cases involving infidelity.
• How many cases do you handle at one time? You want to make sure your divorce lawyer has enough time to truly devote himself (or herself) to your case. If it seems like your divorce lawyer has too many cases on his plate, you might be better off choosing someone else to manage your case as you deserve your lawyer’s full attention.
• How much is this going to cost and what is your billing schedule? A lot of clients are nervous to ask about billing, worrying that such questions might come across as tacky. Don’t be worried. It’s important that you know how much your lawyer is going to charge you and how the lawyer’s billing system will work. This needs to be discussed in detail so that there are no nasty surprises later.
• How long will my case take? There’s nothing more frustrating during a divorce case than unexpected delays. Ask your Florida divorce lawyer how long he expects your case will take to be completed. Sure, there are many parts of the process that are out of your attorney’s control, but you want to make sure your lawyer is working hard to keep your case moving forward.
Print these questions out and take them with you to your initial consultation with a potential divorce lawyer.